December 14, 2016 | Kimberly
Executive Session 6:30 p.m.
(Follows board dinner at 6:15 p.m.)
EXECUTIVE SESSION: Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to enter executive session at 6:50 p.m. as provided for in section IC 74-206(1) b to consider personnel matters. Mr. Champlin asked for a roll call: Dr. Melvin via phone for executive session - yes, Curtis Giles – yes, Mr. Higdem – yes and Mr. Champlin - yes. Mr. Higdem moved to exit executive session at 7:20 p.m. and Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 4–0.
Regular Meeting 7:00 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 7:25 p.m. Present were trustees Mr. Giles and Mr. Higdem. Mr. Nield and Dr. Melvin were absent. Also in attendance were Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent and Mrs. Cooper, District Clerk. Due to inclement weather and road conditions Mr. Champlin excused the admin team from tonight’s meeting.
AGENDA: Mr. Higdem moved to approve the amended agenda (personnel report). Mr. Higdem seconded the motion. The motion carried 3–0.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Board PD: Benefits of ISBA – tabled until January meeting.
KHS Spring Musical: Students Erin O’Connell and Lilly McNamar, along with their teacher Bob Alverson spoke to the board about Musical Theatre Class. Ms. McNamar reported on the benefits of participating in theatre; confidence building, teamwork and social connectedness. Ms. O’Connell president of musical theatre stated that the class has 54 students, doubling in size this year. They are now in a position to actually plan a full length musical appropriate for HS students. The LA Thomas has been more than adequate for their smaller productions but they will need more space for their Spring Musical Schrek which will also include a pit orchestra. O’Leary Middle School auditorium is available and less expensive than other Magic Valley venues. The rental fee is $1,350 and includes technical support. Dates are April 12-15, 2017.
Mr. Champlin recommended that the district pay the rental cost to give the program a financial boost. Mr. Higdem made a motion to approve that recommendation and Mr. Giles seconded. The motion carried 3-0.
HEARING OF VISITORS: Those in attendance were on the agenda. Mary Grace Aherns, Middle School teacher and a couple government students were in attendance.
- KHS student Mattew Wirtz thanked the board for their support to sanction swimming as a HS sport. The IHSAA voted 8-6 in favor.
- Notification that Nikki Mathews and Denise Mumm’s stories on mastering the craft of teaching will be part of the publication Assessing Writing, Teaching Writers.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to approve the November, 2016 financial report including investment pool statements (interest is at .6348%). The motion carried 3-0.
Building Project Update:
- Appraisal for new elementary school site located at Polk St West and Emerald Drive North. Curtis Giles moved to accept the McKinlay & Klundt Appraisal Report of $380,000 for 10+ acres of vacant land. Dane Higdem seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
- Sales Agreement for the new elementary site. Dane Higdem moved to approve the $375,000 purchase of 10+ acres of vacant land near Polk and Emerald as long as it can be permitted for a school. Curtis Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
- Next steps in the process of building the new elementary school include:
- Inform community and staff of plans
- Send community and staff a January Update
- Schedule community night for presentation
- Form a Transition Committee
CONSENT AGENDA: Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items. The motion carried 3-0.
- Approve district invoices
- Approve school invoices
- Approve food service expenditures
- Approve November 16, 2016 meeting minutes
- Approve Rave (Mobile Safety Panic Button)and Positive Connection (PSR Services) Agreements
- Sale of surplus items –pallets
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve additional invoices for November. The motion carried 3-0.
APPROVE 3 YEAR GIFTED AND TALENTED PLAN: Mr. Giles moved and Mr. Higdem seconded the motion to approve the 3 year gifted and talented plan to include clustering students as submitted by Sara Crystal. The motion carried 3-0.
APPROVE RENEWAL OF ALTERNATIVE AUTHORIZATION FOR KAYLA HUTCHESON: Mr. Higdem moved and Mr. Giles seconded the motion to approve the AA renewal for Ms. Hutcheson via the ABCTE Program. The motion carried 3-0.
APPROVE ALTERNATIVE AUTHORIZATION FOR LEO FONTANA: Mr. Giles moved and Mr. Higdem seconded the motion to approve the AA for Mr. Fontana via his experience, evaluations and CSET test. The motion carried 3-0.
APPROVE 1ST READING TO ADOPT DRONE POLICY 8550: Table until January meeting.
1st READING TO REVISE POLICY 4330/4330F COMMUNITY USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES: Table until January meeting.
1ST READING TO REVISE POLICY 2410 GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS: Table until January meeting.
SET CIVICS ASSESSMENT PROFICIENCY: Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to set the required student Civics Assessment at 70% or greater. The motion carried 3-0.
- The KBOA St. Nicholas Celebration held on December 3rd in the LA Thomas was a big success!
- Trustee Elections for Zones 2 and 3 will be May 16, 2017 per election calendar.
- Cross Fit for kids MS curriculum
- Good Stories to Share – District family who lost their home to fire received a freezer full of meat from our employees.
Mr. Giles moved and Mr. Higdem seconded the motion to approve the amended personnel report. The motion carried 3-0.
RESIGNATIONS / RETIREMENTS:
Monica Youree KHS Business teacher (at semester)
LEADERSHIP TEAM REPORTS: Available on the website.
ADJOURNMENT: Dane Higdem moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 pm and Curtis Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.