December 16, 2015 | Kimberly
KIMBERLY SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
December 16, 2015
Regular Meeting 6:30 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 6:35 p.m. Present were trustees Mr. Nield, Mr. Champlin, and Mr. Giles along with Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent and Mrs. Cooper, District Clerk. Dr. Melvin Giles was in attendance as appointee to fill the Zone 3 vacancy. Mr. Higdem was absent.
AGENDA: Mr. Nield moved to approve the amended agenda as presented (added Item 9-4 and an updated personnel report). Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3–0.
APPOINT ZONE 3 TRUSTEE: Mr. Nield moved and Mr. Giles seconded the motion to appoint Dr. Ryan Melvin to fill the vacancy in Zone 3 that has been unfilled over 90 days. Dr. Melvin is a resident of Zone 2. The motion carried 3-0.
OATH OF OFFICE: Cathy Cooper, District Clerk administered the Trustee’s Oath of Office to Ryan Melvin, filling the vacancy in Zone 3.
EXECUTIVE SESSION: Mr. Nield moved to enter executive session at 6:40 p.m. as provided for in section IC 74-206(1) b to consider personnel matters and acquisition of an interest in real property. Mr. Champlin asked for a roll call: Mr. Champlin – yes, Dr. Melvin – yes, Mr. Nield – yes, Mr. Giles – yes. Dr. Melvin moved to exit executive session at 7:15 p.m. and Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 4–0.
Regular Meeting 7:20 p.m.
Ms. Senecal, HS principal; Mr. Schvaneveldt, MS principal; Mrs. Garner, ES principal; Michelle Haught, SPED Director; and Darla Wadsworth, transportation director were in attendance. Mr. Gonzales and Mrs. Unger were also present. New Zone 3 Trustee, Dr. Melvin was introduced.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
BOARD SCENARIOS – The topics this month are:
- Board Bias - Mr. Schroeder reminded Trustees to have an open mind, listen to constituents and advise them as to which district officials can help. Follow up to see if their concerns have been addressed.
- Contracts / Open Meeting Law – Future personnel reports re: issuing contracts will be more transparent by listing names, contract type and length, and amounts will be listed.
HEARING OF VISITORS: Tonight’s audience included Darin Gonzales, KEA president who brought gifts for the board of trustees on behalf of the KEA in appreciation of their support and the KBOA Christmas certificates. Tiffany Unger, high school teacher was in attendance wanting to personally thank the board for the Christmas gift to staff.
CORRESPONDENCE: Multiple thank you cards from staff.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Curtis Giles moved and Myron Nield seconded the motion to approve the November, 2015 financial report including investment pool statements and investment pool change form for KHS. The motion carried 4-0.
- Appoint Ryan Melvin as trustee for Zone 3 (beginning of meeting)
- Trustee Oath of Office for Ryan Melvin (beginning of meeting)
- Review Student Dress Code Policy 3224 – possible 1st reading in January.
- Athletic Trainer contract with St. Luke’s tabled until January
CONSENT AGENDA: Mr. Nield moved and Dr. Melvin seconded the motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items. The motion carried 4-0.
Approve district invoices for December, 2015.
- Approve school invoices.
- Approve food service expenditures.
- Approve November 18, 2015 meeting minutes.
- Approve Aesop Customer Agreement (automated sub calling system).
- Sale of surplus items – pallets; class set Beyond the Rockies, A Narrative History of Idaho (1989); and Idaho Notebook (1977, 6th edition.
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Mr. Nield moved and Dr. Melvin seconded the motion to approve the additional invoices. The motion carried 4-0.
APPOINT KSD TWIN FALLS CANAL COMPANY PROXY: Myron Nield moved to appoint Mr. Champlin as proxy for the Kimberly School District at the annual shareholder meeting. KSD has 63.74 water shares. Curtis Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 4-0.
1st READING FOR NEW PROCEDURE 5140P - Mr. Nield moved to authorize 1st reading of the Classified Employee Grievance Procedure. This is a new procedure specifically for classified staff. Mr. Dr. Melvin seconded the motion. The motion carried 4-0.
RETIRE POLICY 5142 EMPLOYEE GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE: Myron Nield moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to table retiring this grievance policy until 5140P and 5142R-P are approved. The motion carried 4-0.
1st READING POLICY PROCEDURE 5142R-P: Dr. Melvin moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve the 1st reading to adopt 5142R-P Certified Employee Grievance Procedure which is in line with the procedural agreement. The motion carried 4-0.
1st READING to ADOPT POLICY 5235: Mr. Giles moved and Ryan Melvin seconded the motion to approve the 1st reading to adopt 5235 Employee Responsibilities Regarding Student Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying. The motion carried 4-0.
- Master Building Plan Committee Update – Meeting 3 of 3 meetings will be December 17th at 1:00 p.m. with a community meeting to follow at 5:00 p.m. A 20 year building plan will be recommended to the board in Jan.
- Regional meeting with local legislators – promising budget forecast, career ladder continued and possibly shortened.
- School foundation dinner netted $20,000 to be split between foundation and PTSO.
- Teacher evaluation student achievement ratings are changing mid-stream. More info in January.
- Luke is a Region IV participant on Superintendent Ybarra’s superintendent cabinet.
- Joki Lawsuit and student fees…can’t charge for any credit bearing class. Only non-curricular student activities can have fees.
- Good stories to tell…… Mrs. Garner shared her story of a long day, many errands, holiday stress, shuttling kids……. Only to stand in the Winco checkout line behind a Dad with a toddler, child and 2 full grocery carts! He had the cashier ring up her 3 items, add to his tab and send her on her way! Total random act of kindness.
PERSONNEL REPORT - amended:
Myron Nield moved and Ryan Melvin seconded the motion to approve personnel report Part 1. The motion carried 4-0.
Employee X – three day suspension with pay
Myron Nield moved and Ryan Melvin seconded the motion to approve personnel report Part 2. The motion carried 4-0.
Diana Bordi 5 hour per day SPED Para
Kelly Hughes 5 hour per day SPED Para
Donna Vawser 5 hour per day SPED Para (transfer)
Shayla Tolman part-time SPED Para
Jamie Poulton KHS Secretary
Ryan Melvin moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve personnel report Part 3. The motion carried 4-0.
- RESIGNATIONS / RETIREMENTS / TERMINATIONS:
D’Anaie Huddleston bus driver
Lisa Senecal KHS Principal
ADJOURNMENT: Dr. Melvin moved to adjourn at 8:45 pm, Mr. Giles seconded and the motion carried 4-0.