October 21, 2015 | Kimberly
KIMBERLY SCHOOL DISTRICT 414
KIMBERLY SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
October 21, 2015
EXECUTIVE SESSION: Mr. Higdem moved to enter executive session at 7:00 p.m. as provided for in section IC 74-206(1) b to consider personnel matters and acquisition of an interest in real property. Mr. Champlin asked for a roll call: Mr. Champlin – yes, Mr. Higdem – yes, Mr. Giles – yes. Mr. Higdem moved to exit executive session at 7:45 p.m. and Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3–0.
Regular Meeting 7:30 p.m.
The meeting was called to order by Mr. Champlin at 7:50 p.m. Present were trustees Mr. Giles, Mr. Champlin, and Mr. Higdem. Mr. Nield was absent. Zone 3 is vacant. Mr. Schroeder, Superintendent; Mrs. Cooper, district clerk; Mrs. Wirtz, business manager; Mrs. Senecal, HS principal; Mr. Schvaneveldt, MS principal; Mrs. Garner, ES principal; Sara Crystal, curriculum director; Kirby Bright, Athletic Director; Roxanne Mumm, food service director; Ted Wasko, maintenance director and Darla Wadsworth, transportation director were also in attendance.
AGENDA: Mr. Higdem moved to approve the agenda as presented. Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3–0.
FLAG SALUTE: Everyone stood and participated in the Pledge of Allegiance.
FY15 audit report – Troy Mahlke, MH & Co. reported that Kimberly School District has earned a clean, unqualified opinion on the FY 15 audit. The audit shows $200,000 in unbudgeted funds that increased the carry-over. Current carry over is enough to cover 1.5 months of expenses.
KHS BAND MEMBERS - Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to provide $150 to Isabel and Shawn Higdem to help with their cost to participate in the University of Montana’s School of Music All-Star Ensemble. The motion carried 2-0 with Mr. Hidgem abstaining from the vote.
ATHLETIC BUDGET REPORT – Kirby Bright, presented the athletic budget for this school year. Expenditures were a bit more than the anticipated revenue. There is a carry-over from FY14. The athletic budget is dependent on how many teams make state, where they travel, and how the gate receipts come in. Mr. Bright gave credit to Mrs. Sievers for her excellent work with him on the budget.
HEARING OF VISITORS: Tonight’s audience included seniors from Mr. Young’s government class and band member (and All-Star Ensemble participant) Isabel Ahlm who played the flute.
CORRESPONDENCE: Thank you from David & Monica Cook on behalf of Team Tesla Robotics 7057 for the board’s continued support.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to approve the September, 2015 financial report including investment pool statements. Laurie reported that the commercial visa cards are still in underwriting and won’t be available for KY FFA trip. The motion carried 3-0.
- The District Strategic Plan was revised to include more specific goals. Mr. Higdem moved to approve the strategic plan with changes and Mr. Giles seconded the motion. The plan, results and goals will be posted to the school web site. The motion carried 3-0.
- Zone 3 Vacancy – No interest in this vacancy to date. The vacancy can be filled outside the zone by board appointment by the November board meeting. After 120 days a vacant seat will be filled by the county commissioners. The board requested that interested candidates be invited to the November board meeting.
CONSENT AGENDA: Mr. Giles moved and Mr. Higdem seconded the motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items. The motion carried 3-0.
- Approve district invoices for October, 2016.
- Approve school invoices.
- Approve food service expenditures.
- Approve September 16, 2015 meeting minutes.
- Sale of surplus pallets; air-compressor, drill press, band saw, firewood, six spin bikes, cell/smart phones and elementary student desks (circa 1950’s).
- Approve MOU with the Migrant Education (Head Start) Program.
DISCUSSION / AGENDA ITEMS
APPROVE ADDITIONAL INVOICES: Mr. Higdem moved and Mr. Giles seconded the motion to approve the additional invoices. The motion carried 3-0.
ACCEPT FY15 AUDIT REPORT AS SUBMITTED: Curtis Giles moved to accept the FY15 Audit Report as submitted by Mr. Troy Mahlke. The district received a clean unqualified opinion from the auditors. Mr. Higdem seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
ISBA RESOLUTIONS REVIEW - Mr. Schroeder reviewed the 12 proposed ISBA resolutions. Mr. Higdem will vote on behalf of the Board at the ISBA Annual Convention on Nov. 13th.
1ST READING TO REVISE POLICY 2410(R) HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS: Dane Higdem moved and Curtis Giles seconded the motion to approve as a first and final reading the revisions to the graduation policy in line with state requirements. The motion carried 3-0.
1st READING TO REVISE POLICY 8510P INCIDENT INVESTIGATION AND REPORTING PROCEDURE: Dane Higdem moved to approve as a first and final reading the revision to procedure policy 8510P per recommendation by a workers comp representative to change Magic Valley Occupational Health to Designated Medical Provider. Curtis Giles seconded the motion. The motion carried 3-0.
- Mr. Schvaneveldt will chair a dress code policy review committee and report back to the board. Focus will be on non-gender specific criteria.
- November budget revise will include an increase in support units and carry over. Some money will be transferred to plant facilities.
- Design Build Team Update – Master Building Plan Committee and Community Meetings scheduled for Oct. 29, Nov. 19 and Dec. 17.
- Supplemental Levy and Bond Election dates will be reviewed.
- ISBA Coeur d’Alene Convention November 11-13
- Good stories to tell…… friendly lunch ladies; Dr. Chad Johnson, past Kimberly grad is awesome sports trainer; Kami Michelli shared rewarding parent contact story; 40% of KMS students participated in fall sports and 9th grade volleyball team displayed exemplary sportsmanship and consideration for audience in Declo.
Curtis Giles moved and Dane Higdem seconded the motion to approve the personnel report. The motion carried 3-0.
Angela Okelberry 7th grade girl’s basketball coach
Logan Upton part-time para
Tenisha Hoptowit part-time para
Mickey Carter part-time para
Norma Magana, Staci Carter and Rochelle Larson (part-time to full-time para transfers)
Dave Makings part-time 5th grade para
RESIGNATIONS / RETIREMENTS / TERMINATIONS:
Deborah Nelson Part-time Para
ADJOURNMENT: Mr. Giles moved to adjourn at 9:45 pm and the motion carried 3-0.