For students in grades K through 8 (K-8), the District will not allow release time for religious instruction.
Students in grades nine (9) through twelve (12) may be excused from school for a period not exceeding five (5) periods in each week and not exceeding one hundred sixty five (165) hours during any one school year.
- It is the responsibility of the school district to insure that no public school property, public funds, or other public resources be used in any way for the operation of release time programs, nor shall the school district be liable for any injury, act, or event occurring while the student participates in such programs. The district shall assume no obligation or responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of students while they are being transported to and from and participating in release time programs.
- Students desiring to have release time must have a parental release form signed, by a parent or guardian, on file in the high school office.
- The school board shall have reasonable discretion over the scheduling and time of the release time.
- Release time shall not reduce the minimum graduation requirements.
- No public school facilities shall be used for religious instruction under this policy.
- No public school facilities, personnel or equipment may be utilized, nor attendance records be provided for the benefit of religious release classes/instruction
- No credit shall be awarded to students by this district for completion of courses during release time for religious purposes.
- School catalogs, registration forms, or any other regularly printed school material shall not include schedules of classes for release time programs.
- Teachers of release time classes are not to be considered members of any public school faculty and should not be asked to participate as faculty members in any school functions or to assume responsibilities for operation of any part of the public school system.
- At the discretion of the board, credit may be granted for release time activities that are not religious in nature.
Article IX, § 6 Idaho Constitution – Religious Test and Teaching in School Prohibited
I.C. § 33-519 Release for Religious Instruction
I.C. § 33-1603 Sectarian Instruction Forbidden
IDAPA 08.02.02.220 Release Time Program for Elementary and Secondary Schools
1st Reading: April 19, 2001; 2nd Reading: May 17, 2001
Revised on: 1/28/03