Any student, 18 years old or younger, applying for a driver's license or an instruction permit must provide written verification from this district to the Idaho Department of Transportation that he/she is enrolled in school and meets this district's attendance requirement. Written verification shall be obtained from the student's school.
In the event a student fails to meet the enrollment and attendance requirement of this policy, the building principal, or his/her designee shall provide written notification on a form provided by the Idaho Department of Education to the student and his/her parent, guardian or custodian of this school district's intent to request that the Idaho Department of Transportation suspend the student's driving privileges because the student has dropped out of school and has failed to comply with the enrollment and attendance requirements.
The student or his/her parent, guardian or custodian shall have 15 calendar days from the date of receipt of the above-mentioned notice to request a hearing before the building principal, or his/her designee for the purpose of reviewing the pending suspension of driving privileges. The requested hearing shall be held within 30 calendar days after the receipt of the request.
The building principal, or his/her designee may grant a hardship waiver of the requirement of this policy for any student for whom a personal or family hardship requires that the student have a driver's license for his/her own or his/her family's employment of medical care. The building principal, or his/her designee shall take into account the recommendations of teachers, other school officials, guidance counselors or academic advisors prior to granting a waiver. Such hardship waiver must be requested by the student or the student's parent, guardian or custodian at the initial hearing.
If the building principal, or his/her designee, denies a hardship waiver, that decision may be appealed to the Board of Trustees for this school district within 7 calendar days of receipt of the principal's or designee's decision. The hearing before the Board shall be held at a mutually convenient time. The Board shall have the authority to uphold the decision of the building principal, or his/her designee, or reverse the decision and grant the hardship waiver.
This district shall provide the following information to the Idaho Department of Transportation on appropriate forms provided by the Idaho Department of Education:
- The necessary verification that a student applying for a driver's license or instruction permit meets the requirements set forth in this policy at the request of the student;
- A request that the Idaho Department of Transportation suspend a student's driving privileges because the student has dropped out of school and has failed to comply with this district's enrollment and attendance requirements;
- The names of students granted or denied hardship waivers under this policy;
- Written verification that a student is again in compliance with the requirements of this policy;
- Reports setting forth the number of:
- Notifications issued of possible student driver's license suspensions based on non-attendance;
- Requests to the Idaho Department of Transportation to suspend a driver's license; and
- Student driver's licenses actually suspended.
Idaho Code Sections: 33-211, 49-3-3, 49-303A, 49-326, 49-305, 49-310
Adopted on: April 8, 2003